Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 with 3 comments
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads
Title:  Of Poseidon
Author:  Anna Banks
Series:  1st book in the Of Poseidon series
Publisher:  Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date:  May 22, 2012
Source:  ARC

Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.




Of Poseidon was my first mermaid book, but the merfolk have found a friend in me.  It was funny and clever and highly entertaining.  I will definitely pick up the other mermaid offerings scheduled for release this year because of it.

By the second page of this novel, I already knew I was going to love the sarcastic, snarky voice of the main character Emma.  However, each chapter alternated between Emma’s present-tense, first person point-of-view and a third person point-of-view with Galen’s perspective.  Each POV has its perks, but you can deduce more of the story from Galen’s vantage point.  Admittedly, this did lead to my own theories as to Emma’s origins, and it became a tad predictable from there.

I enjoyed how strong the female characters in this novel were.  Emma may become a pile of goo whenever Galen is near her, but when her safety is compromised and he gets a little controlling, she lets him know in no uncertain terms that she doesn’t take orders from him.  And Galen’s twin sister Rayna has all but taken a vow of celibacy to avoid a forced marriage to Toraf, her brother’s best friend and her would-be mate.  Of course, that all changes later in the book, but it was nice to see the girls taking charge of themselves and their relationships in the beginning, at least.

I do wish more of the world of the Syrena had been explored, but I realize that the focus of this first novel is getting Emma to acknowledge her gift and everything that entails.  The story developed rather quickly after that initial encounter between Emma and Galen, and even with the somewhat predictable nature of the story arc, there was never  a dull moment.

If you’re a fan of mermaids, snark, and/or romances with a twist, I’d recommend Of Poseidon.  It was a light, fun read and it helped me break out of my reading slump.  Of Poseidon was an engaging debut and I can’t wait to read what happens next!


Here are a couple of quotes I found humorous and snarky:

"It's almost as frustrating as Galen's game of hot and cold.  Thing is, I'm not sure it's a game.  From his expression, there's out-and-out war going on behind the scenes.  He leans in, pulls away.  Leans in, pulls away.  It's like a battle between good and evil.  I'm just not sure which one he thinks kissing me is." -- p. 183 of ARC

"So it's a good thing I'm being proactive about my own recovery by going on a date, even if it is a rebound -- and even if I'm rebounding from a relationship that didn't actually exist.  My feelings were real.  That's all that matters, isn't it?  There's no stipulation in the broken-heart rule book that states the relationship had to actually be authentic, right?  Sure, I'm gray-shading the line that separates stable and crazy, but the point is, there is a line.  And I haven't completely crossed over to lunatic." -- p. 284 of ARC

Rating: 
Photobucket

Book-A-Likes:  mermaid books releasing this year - Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown, The Vicious Deep by



3 comments:

  1. Mermaids for the win!!! do they change into humans so they can get all mc nasty with eachother? Or do they genitalias made from scales? Just curious. :)

    I will be for sure reading this one, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, they have to mate in human form. So, once they're "mated" with another Syrena, they have to go find themselves a little island paradise to get busy. :) No scaly genitalia here. :P

      You can borrow my ARC whenever you get ready to read this one. :D

      Delete
  2. I loved Emma from the very beginning. Emma is just so alive with such a temper sometimes and the way she blushes all the time is so cute. Galen, on the other hand, was kind of tough too figure out at first but with the revolving perspectives and time I learned he wasn't a creepy, old, stalker and turns out being such a great, swoon-worthy, funny type of guy despite being a prince. Turns out he KNOWS Emma's secret, a secret she doesn't know herself, and that secret, my friends, is something you shall have to find out for yourselves. It will be expected but unexpected, as well.

    I was just eager for more with each turning page. I loved that this novel for the most part was very uplifting and just so real despite the deep history we get from time to time. It was so simple yet so complicated.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...