Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


This week's teaser comes from the following book:

Add to Goodreads
Title:  Burn Bright
Author:  Marianne de Pierres
Series:  Night Creatures
Publisher:  Random House Australia
Publication Date:  March 1, 2011
Source:  book tour hosted by Refracted Light Reviews
Purchase:  Fishpond

Into a world of wild secrets and deadly pleasures comes a girl whose innocence may be her greatest strength.

In Ixion music and party are our only beliefs. Darkness is our comfort. We have few rules but they are absolute . . .

Retra doesn’t want to go to Ixion, the island of ever-night, ever-youth and never-sleep. Retra is a Seal – sealed minds, sealed community. She doesn’t crave parties and pleasure, experience and freedom.

But her brother Joel left for Ixion two years ago, and Retra is determined to find him. Braving the intense pain of her obedience strip to escape the only home she’s ever known, Retra stows away on the barge that will take her to her brother.

When she can’t find Joel, Retra finds herself drawn deeper into the intoxicating world of Ixion. Come to me, whispers a voice in her head. Who are the Ripers, the mysterious guardians of Ixion? What are the Night Creatures Retra can see in the shadows? And what happens to those who grow too old for Ixion?

Retra will find that Ixion has its pleasures, but its secrets are deadly. Will friendship, and the creation of an eternal bond with a Riper, be enough to save her from the darkness?

Listen well, baby bats. Burn bright, but do not stray from the paths. Remember, when you live in a place of darkness you also live with creatures of the dark.


My teaser:


   When he kissed her, it took time for the pressure to register on her lips. Even then the sensation was dull and without thrill.
   "Come back to me, little bat," he whispered.  -- p. 198

Um, this part of the book is kinda weird.  Things have been interesting up to this point, but this part in particular is full of WTFery.  I am so totally in awe of this world and everything else about this book.  Seriously, I am in love with this book!  I'm so glad I got the opportunity to read it...now I can't wait to read the rest of the series.  Hurry up and publish it in the states, Random House!

18 comments:

  1. I think something happened to her and he's like, kissing her to wake up? Like Sleeping Beauty? Haha
    Anyway, here's mine. :)
    Happy Tuesday and enjoy reading!
    *New follower. :)
    P.S the cover looks Lady Gaga-ish. o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good guess! But it's so much creepier than Sleeping Beauty ever though of being. :P

      Delete
  2. Nice teaser. I hope things get less weird. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I don't mind the weird. It works really well for this book. :)

      Delete
  3. Great teaser! Haven't heard of this book but can't wait to check it out! :D Hopefully you'll still like it when you finish and things wont be soo weird! LOL ;p

    My TT! 

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the weirdness, actually. I did finish it, and I still loved it. In fact, I want to read the rest of the series now, but I don't know if I can shell out that kinda money for it since it's not published here yet. :(

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, the fact that you said it's full of WTFery makes me want to read this! Great teaser. New follower. Here's my TT from Salt by Maurice Gee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEK. We have the same name! And we even spell it the same! :) And WTFery made you want to read this! :) I think we're going to be great friends. :P

      Delete
  5. Great teaser, this book has been on my wishlist for such a long time!

    Here's my Teaser Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it...it's so different and soooo good. :)

      Delete
  6. Oooooh, I like the creepy teaser! And ever-youth and never-sleep? I think I can get on board with this book, Jen! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my teaser. Sigh, I better get back to The Lost Prince... Join me, won't youuuuuu?
    Love,
    Your saucy lil minx <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must. Have. Willpower. I don't know if I'm strong enough, Chele. Quit tempting me!!! :P

      Delete
  7. Uber interesting cover and synopsis. My curiosity is peaked! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting teaser. I haven't heard of it but the cover looks great.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so curious what you'll think of this book, Jen! I liked how atmospheric it was, but I was left a little wanting, too. Definitely looking forward to the sequels, though!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, the only thing left wanting was me...for the sequels! I loved this book. I'm still trying to collect my thoughts, but I'll be reviewing it as soon as I do. :)

      Delete
  10. I've had this on my TBR pile for ages. Really need to get to it soon!

    My teaser is here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...