Sunday, July 21, 2013



I don't know which bothers me more:  people who don't enjoy reading or those who push books on you constantly, even though you've told them repeatedly that you're not interested.

 vs. 

Being married to a (mostly) non-reader is tough at times, but having another family member who pushes her favorite books on me just might be worse.  Admittedly, my husband has been picking up some non-fiction works lately, especially those based on military experiences, and I'm happy he's reading and actually enjoying it.  He has tried to read a few of the "boy" books I've offered him, but he never gets very far.  And that's fine...not everyone likes to read the same stuff.  I just thought I'd try to expand his horizons a bit, especially since I've seen some of the storylines on his video games.  If he read the Assassin's Creed series in book form, I think he'd really start to enjoy reading fiction again.  Yes, once upon a time -- like, ten or twelve years ago when he was in high school -- he liked to read.  It's actually pretty shameful that I've never read his favorite book:  The Great Gatsby.  And, yet, he doesn't push the book on me, even though he knows I want to read it before we see the new film.  He's patient like that.  :)

My sister-in-law, on the other hand -- who I don't think reads my blog but I guess I'll find out soon -- is a book pusher.  The funny thing is, she only got into reading in the last year or so.  But every time we get together and the subject of reading comes up, it's all about what she's reading.  I understand that young adult novels are not for everyone.  But what she doesn't understand is that smexy books are not for everyone either.  I like a good hot and heavy love story every now and then, but that's all this woman reads, and I didn't appreciate some of the things she was insinuating.

On Friday night, she went into overdrive trying to convince me that I need to read Fifty Shades of Grey.  I'm sure the look on my face said it all, but she forged ahead, telling me it's not all about domination and bondage and a controlling douche-waffle like I'm thinking.  I was drinking and having a good time, so I just brushed it aside, promising her I'd at least give it to chapter 15 before passing judgment.  But, folks, I have no intentions of reading this series.  Ever.  First and foremost, it would mean I'd have to purchase the books first, and I cannot in good conscience do that.  I know a lot of women love these books, and more power to them, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that these books are not for me.  My friend April made a Sims trailer for the first book, and the scenes she captured told me all I needed to know.

My SIL's read some other books that blogger buddies have read, like the Bella Andre books, and I'd be much more likely to give those books a try.  And we did discuss those at length, too, with her soliciting further promises from me to read them so we could talk about them afterward.  It's nice having a real-life bookish friend, but I hate that it means I have to read what she's reading if I ever want to really talk about a story.  Just from our previous discussions, I know that she would not be open to reading the books I enjoy reading.  :(

And this is why I'm so glad to have the book blogging community.  Because I know I'll always be able to find someone who reads books similar in taste to what I'm reading and we can have a legitimate discussion about those books.  Without pressure.  Without fear of judgment.  Without ridicule.  This is why I started my blog in the first place, and I'm so glad to call this community home and all of you friends.  I'd probably go a little nutso without you guys.

How do you deal with the non-readers and book pushers in your life?  Or are you blessed with bookish friends in real life, too?

Any and all commentary, chastising, and public flogging is welcome, as per usual.  And thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. LOL! This post made me laugh. When I was back in high school there was this one kid I always hated because he used to say "I hate reading, books are boring, etc." My coblogger is the exact type of "You HAVE to read this." Which results in me doubling my TBR pile aha. Fun post!
    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad thing is, I'd probably be open to reading the books she suggests if I didn't already have a TBR mountain on my hands. :(

      Delete
  2. Actually, I think I might be the book pusher in my circle. Lol My BFF reads mostly literary and historical fiction. I share her love of hstorical fiction but we have very different tastes in most books.With her I can vent about or discuss at length whatever I'm reading as she can with me without either of us pushing or pressuring because we both understand one anothers preferences. My other friends though don't have such clearly defned preferences so I expect them to be more apt to try and like what I'm pushing. Hopefully your SIL will see this and get the hint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not gonna lie, I probably push books on people, too, but I usually take into account the types of books they like, at least. I just wish me and the SIL had similar tastes. And here's hoping. :)

      Delete
  3. My hubby doesn't read at all. He doesn't have an interest in it. It doesn't bother me but sometimes I wish he liked reading so he'd understand why I love it so much. I don't have any book pushers, thank goodness. None of my real life friends really read either. *sigh* This is why I have you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great post.

    I have a friend who openly says she doesn't like fantasy books, which is what I read most often, but she reads them if they come recommended to her. Knowing she doesn't care for them, I rarely recommend them to her.

    Knowing that's my preference, she pushes nearly every one she reads on to me...over and over again, despite the fact that I tell her those books have been on my TBR, "I know, but you HAVE to read them" is her oft-repeated phrase.

    Here's hoping your SIL comes around and starts picking at least somethings that you like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby's not a big reader either. He loves JRR Tolkien and has read the Hobbit and the LotR trilogy a bunch of times, but it's hard to get him to try anything new. What I started doing with him is getting books on CD. He's in his truck a lot and likes to listen to books while he's driving around. He mostly listens to stuff I'm not interested in (also mostly military stuff--like Band of Brothers, etc lol), but as long as he's reading I don't really care what it is. He did read the Hunger Games series (or listened to it) and liked it. So that was definitely a win.

    I don't really have any pushers in my life. I work at my local library and get to have great discussions with my co-workers. My best friend used to be a big reader although she doesn't seem to read much now that she's a mom (not saying that mom's don't read--obviously--but she really doesn't seem to read at all anymore). I do love being a part of the blogging community. It's nice to be "friends" with people who have such similar tastes as I do and who love books and talking about books and who get my quirky book habits.

    I'm definitely curious if your SIL says something to you...although how will you let us know if you find out she does read your blog?...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fact that my trailer helped you not traumatize yourself by reading those books. lol, and as always, thank you for sharing it. <3

    I for sure have a few book pushers in my life. I think people just assume that because I have a blog and I read, that I would love to read anything. No, no thank you. I just had someone ask me the other day if I ever tried a book they reccommended. I've already blocked it out.. I can't remember who asked or what the book was, but it sounded lame. That's horrible. lol.

    I have read the Belle Andre books, and I really enjoyed them. yay for some plot with the sex!

    my husband doesn't read either. It's just not his thing, and I totally respect that. he watches the movies with me though when they come out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...