Thursday, June 12, 2014

SYNC Summer 2014: Week 5 #syncya

Thursday, June 12, 2014 with 6 comments

Man, I can't believe it's already the second week of June! The kids are finally out of school, and summer is officially upon us. You know what that means! Free audiobooks! =) SYNC recently announced the list of audiobook pairings up for grabs this summer. Here's what you can grab through Wednesday of next week...for free!

This week's YA title is Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, performed by Morven Christie & Lucy Gaskell for Bolinda Audio.

Add to Goodreads

Oct. 11th, 1943-A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage, failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy?

A Michael L. Printz Award Honor book that was called "a fiendishly-plotted mind game of a novel" in The New York Times, Code Name Verity is a visceral read of danger, resolve, and survival that shows just how far true friends will go to save each other.



This week's classic title is The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom and Elizabeth & John Sherrill, performed by Bernadette Dunne for Christian Audio.

Add to Goodreads

At one time Corrie ten Boom would have laughed at the idea that there would ever be a story to tell. For the first fifty years of her life nothing at all out of the ordinary had ever happened to her. She was an old-maid watchmaker living contentedly with her spinster sister and their elderly father in the tiny Dutch house over their shop. Their uneventful days, as regulated as their own watches, revolved around their abiding love for one another. However, with the Nazi invasion and occupation of Holland, a story did ensue.

Corrie ten Boom and her family became leaders in the Dutch Underground, hiding Jewish people in their home in a specially built room and aiding their escape from the Nazis. For their help, all but Corrie found death in a concentration camp. The Hiding Place is their story.





I keep hearing just how awesome Code Name Verity is, and that the sequel is just as fabulous, but I'm kind of scared of this story. I can't even put my finger on why, but I am. Maybe listening will help? I love reading about this time period, as sad as it is, and real life accounts are my favorite, so I'm sure to be inspired by Corrie's story in The Hiding Place.

Will you be picking up either of these titles?  Remember, they're only available through Wednesday, and new titles will be put up on Thursday for download.  Other things to note:


To download this week's titles, just click on the image below to be taken directly to the SYNC download page:


I hope you take advantage of this program. I've been doing it for the last few years, and I've had the opportunity to listen to a ton of great audio for free.  If you've never tried audiobooks before, it's a great opportunity to do so without the obligation of buying one that you might not enjoy.  And if you love audiobooks, well, it's a great time to stock up on some titles you may have missed.  Win/win.  =)



6 comments:

  1. Will need to download both of them. Have been really looking forward to Code Name Verity, but the other one is about the Dutch resistance and being Dutch, that's definitely some kind of historic thing that should be listened to ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed...you should know about your history. :) My family is Hungarian on my dad's side, so I always feel like I should read the stories set during the World Wars. Even if they are beyond sad.

      Delete
  2. Totally downloaded Code Name Verity this morning. I need to read this one as a Throwback Thursday post this summer. Every time I see it sitting on my shelf unread, I feel a little sadder. Hopefully I can get to the audiobook sooner! Love that you are featuring this program, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to a lot of audio so that I can get to all those unread books on my shelf, too. Sadly, not everything's on audio yet. :( And what kind of audiobook lover would I be if I *didn't* share? :P

      Delete
  3. Thank you for these reminders, Jen!

    Even though I'm stocking up on all these fabulous and FREE audiobooks, I still haven't listened to one. I'm an audiobook virgin, and I need to change that immediately! IMMEDIATELY!

    Marlene @ The Flyleaf Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're welcome! They help remind me to download the titles each week, too. If you're an audiobook virgin, I sincerely suggest you start with Cruel Beauty, which was one of the SYNC freebies a few weeks ago. I read the book earlier this year and then listened to the audio, and I liked it EVEN better on audio.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...