Friday, October 17, 2014

We so borrowed this idea from Sara at Forever 17 Books, who got the idea from an article on Babble called Judging a Book by Its Cover: A 6-year-old Guesses What Classic Novels Are All About. Basically, it's about getting a child's perspective on the story inside the book based on just the cover art. It can be hilarious, but it can also be enlightening.

Okay, I totally missed doing these posts with Katie, and it looks like it's been right at a year since our last one. While cleaning recently, I found the folder that I kept her previous iterations in -- all 33 of them! -- so I begged April to see if Aubrey would be up to contributing, too. Lucky for me, she was! =)






This week, the girls are working on the following book:

Title: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
Author: Holly Black
Series: n/a
Publisher: Little, Brown BFYR
Publication Date: September 3, 2013
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Audible

Add to Goodreads
Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.



Behold, the girls' attempts at recreating The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black...

Aubrey's masterpiece & guess:






Aubrey says:
"Her hand is really cold because she's living in a cold cold COLD town."

lol, I wish you all could have seen her face when she told me this. I love how she did this cover. She insisted that I lay my hand down on the paper so she could trace it. I'm currently listening to this book and omg I love it so freaking much. It will go down as a favorite of mine, I can already tell. :)



Katie's artwork & thoughts:


Katie says:
"She's really cold and maybe if she touches someone, she might make them really cold, too."
I love it! And Katie's not that far off. I think the people in this book have more to worry about from bites than touches, though, lol. I've listened to the audio for this book several times now, and I think I love it more each time. Hands down, my favorite Holly Black book yet, and it's the perfect read -- or listen -- for this time of year!


Have you read this book or do you plan to? What do you think of the girls' artwork and their thoughts on the story's premise?



1 comment:

  1. I love these, so please keep them coming! I am in that void of having a son in college, and waiting for someday grandchildren. I miss these types of conversations, and activities in my home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...